Tuesday, February 16, 2010

our other favourite golden boy....seth wescott wins gold in Vancouver

From camp chaos

as you may remember we happen to be fans of our fellow sugarloafer, Seth Wescott. Seth is a snowboard cross racer (sbx) and when the sport made it's Olympic debut in 2006, Seth took gold after a dashing hole-shot. Camp Chaos was very excited to cheer Seth on in Telluride at the World Cup SBX race in December, two of the last 3 X Games in Aspen and other events here in Telluride.
From x games 2009
I'd been watching the Today Show and waiting for clips, Seth has been on the show a fair amount and is always well spoken. Check out his pre-race interview with Matt.




Yesterday I was a wreak. I was nervous and tried to plan my day so I could watch the races. I checked the web during qualifiers to be sure time trials were ok- the first run- not so much but the second ensured a spot in the race.  I posted happy thoughts on facebook and a friend sent over a link so I could watch the race live. My stomach was in knots as I watched the small figures zoom on my laptop.
Four races. That's it- that's all. Mess one up and it's over. There's a lot of skill in sbx but there's also a lot left to chance. One racer can get clipped by another or hit a rut and spin out. 
Chaos wasn't sure what was wrong with me as I watched the semifinals. Seth and Holland had kept moving forward by taking the top two spots and both progressed to the final medal round. In less then two minutes it was over, Seth had come from behind and slowly picked off the three other races until he sped across the finish line just a half a snowboard length ahead of the Canadian. I was beside myself and wished at that moment I could be back in Maine and celebrating at The Rack like I did in 2006 with all my 'loafer friends. I tossed my favorite golden boy a treat and dug out my "Congrats Seth" button that Sugarloaf had made for Seth Wescott day in 2006. My golden pup posed for some photos.

 I really did try not to tell Dave but it wasn't possible to hide the good news that our other favorite golden boy had done it again.


Congrats Seth, camp chaos is proud of you!






No comments: