Wednesday, February 4, 2009

the kitchen aid returns!

the kitchen aid has been neglected since the diagnosis of the wheat allergy but this weekend it was dusted off and spinning again. I started out with a simple cake mix from Pamela's, was inspired to make macaroons then after a wheat filled whoopie pie I worked up the courage for some wheat free whoopie's.

First you need to make a "flour" blend called featherweight flour
3 cups rice flour
3 cups tapioca flour
3 cups cornstarch
3 Tablespoon potato flour
Blend well and store in fridge. Can be substituted cup for cup for "real" flour. We use it to cook with a lot
For the Whoopies:Makes 6 small whoopies (12 cakes)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1-2 cups Featherweight Flour ( I did two but you may need less at sea level, start with one then add more at end to thicken if needed)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of each: salt, baking soda & vanilla
2.5 tablespoons cocoa powder
0.5 teaspoon xantham gum (expensive but will last forever)
Batter should be a thick consistency
Spoon onto baking sheet or stone in to your favorite size. I like minis so I don't feel bad about them. 2.5" diamater.
Not too tall or they will take forever to bake!
Bake 10-14 minutes at 350 degrees
Again I'm at 9,000 feet so your cooking times may be less.I have trouble with the filling here so I cheat and use a can of frosting which I sometimes add food coloring to for some flair.
while i spent my saturday baking dave had other ventures... but he's gotta post if he wants his photos up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! Sounds like you enjoyed the outcomes. They look delicious. I like how you layered your photos.
Love, ME,m